In 1956 Gilmore Park United Church began as a group of young families who came together to worship and raise their children in the Christian faith. 9 adults and 15 children gathered on Sunday mornings in RM Grauer school. The name of the church comes from the Gilmore family who were early settlers in West Richmond.
A year later, 1.8 acres of land was purchased for a Christian education building. The property was later expanded to 2.86 acres and the first sanctuary was built in 1958, which served until 1997.
Showing signs of “premature aging”, the buildings needed to be torn down. At the same time, it came to the attention of the congregation that there was a need for quality senior citizen’s housing in Richmond. A dynamic team of creative thinkers envisioned an innovative project that would become the church of the future. The buildings were torn down and a new church was built as well as Gilmore Gardens Seniors Centre. The Centre is owned by the church (50%) and five other private investors.
Income from the Centre supplements our ministry programs and funds ministry initiatives in Richmond, Canada and the world.